The Early Years Curriculum is divided into 7 Areas of learning;
Communication and Language
Personal, Social & Emotional Development
Understanding the World
Expressive Arts & Design
Latymer All Saints Nursery is a vibrant, resourceful environment where children are encouraged to be independent learners and creative thinkers. The Nursery is set up to ensure that children have access to all areas of learning. Within each area of learning, children are encouraged to select their resources independently and the children enjoy making their own decisions. Children are observed throughout the year and parents are encouraged to also observe their children in their home environment during their child’s Focus Week. Together we use our observations to plan activities to meet every child’s needs and interests. We make each child feel special during their Focus Week which in turn increases their confidence and their sense of belonging. We would like parents to encourage their children to start to be more independent at home. Children take great pride in doing things for themselves and you can encourage them by allowing them to:
- eat by themselves
- select their own clothes and dress themselves
- go to the toilet on their own
- tidy up their toys
- make their own choices
Daily, children participate in carpet sessions and circle time to encourage their development and understanding of language, social communication and listening skills. Planning is spontaneous and built round the interests and needs of the children. Staff in the nursery all model language and use opportunities to teach through interacting with the children. Through effective questioning they encourage children to develop their own thinking and learning. Daily Activities include:
- The children listen to a range of stories. We encourage the children to take part with actions and the retelling of stories. Children are introduced to new vocabulary and characters.
- This year we will be using sign language to encourage the inclusion of all children. Sign language helps children to communicate in other ways.
- RML- Children will begin to learn their letter sounds.
- Maths: During our daily carpet session we will practise our numbers by counting the number of children present. Maths activities will also be set up daily. These develop skills such as; counting objects, ordering numbers, sorting, writing numbers and shapes.
- We offer a spacious and safe outdoor play area with a wide range of equipment.
- Activities/ Events to look forward to over the year:
- We are looking forward to celebrating diversity through Black History Week.
- We will celebrate a range of festivals around the year, including Harvest, Diwali, Christmas, Chinese New Year and Easter.
- We can’t wait for Sports Day, it’s hard work but worth it!
ICT in Early Years At Latymer All Saints we recognise that ICT prepares our children for a rapidly changing world. Our children in Nursery and Reception have access to a wide range of ICT resources including learn pads, listening banks, remote control vehicles and metal detectors. These first steps in ICT are an important introduction to the vast range of technology that will grow up with and use as part of the daily lives. ICT is evident across the whole of the Early Years Curriculum and each class has an interactive whiteboard to extend teaching and engage children in technology. Technology in Early Years is assessed through age bands in the Technology strand of My Development Matters.
At Latymer All Saints we use Tapestry to create an on line record of the Learning Journey followed by the children in Nursery and Reception. The system records photographs, observations and notes building a comprehensive picture of the learning experiences enjoyed by individual children during their time with us. The system can be accessed by parents and carers. Further details about Tapestry can be viewed by clicking on the links at the foot of this page.
All 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to at least 15 hours of free childcare a week. We offer the following sessions; Morning: 8.30am-11.30am Afternoon: 12.30pm- 3.30pm We are able to accommodate parents by offering the 15 hours over 2.5 days either at the beginning or end of the week. Full time places are available for an additional fee. Please speak to the nursery manager for further information. The nursery application form can be downloaded by clicking the link at the foot of this page.
In Nursery your child will experience a rich and varied curriculum. Take a look at the topic webs below to see what we will be covering:
Meet the team