History of Latymer All Saints Primary School
The school we now know as Latymer All Saints has many roots, and its name is evidence of its history.
In 1626 Edward Latymer had left money to clothe and educate 8 poor boys in Edmonton. In 1739 a school house was purchased on Church St., and was known as the Free Grammar School of Edmonton. In 1811 a bigger building was established and in 1868 was divided into upper and lower departments, each with a Head Teacher.
In 1825 a School for Boys was established by the National Society and 3 years later the committee resolved to provide education for girls over 5. This National School for girls was known as All Saints. At a time when school attendance was not obligatory, girls were encouraged to attend with rewards, money and later points which could be exchanged for clothing. In an area of poor farming families, this worked well to improve school attendance.
In 1863 an Infants school was established on Fore Street. Later the Infants took the ground floor of the Junior Girls’ building.
The building of the railways and cheap travel attracted people from Bethnal Green and Hoxton. The schools then became overcrowded, requiring extension.
The council began a huge building programme of non-denominational schools to cope with the influx of people.
Between 1898-1901 the Church was given £2000 from the Latymer endowment to build a Church of England elementary school. The ties were to continue between the schools, as £100 per year was given to the elementary school from the Latymer foundation, and free scholarships provided to the secondary school. The schools shared a Governing body.
In 1909 the Lower Latymer School was removed from the control of the Governors and from then on was administered by the church, though retaining the Latymer name. In 1947 the school was reorganised and became a Junior school, under the Headship of Mr Nash.
The Infants moved to a new building in 1973, moving out of the old building it had shared with the Junior girls. The Lower Latymer Boys school then closed and the boys moved to All Saints Junior Girls School, forming the Latymer All Saints CE Junior Mixed School. The new Junior building opened in 1979.
The Infant and Junior Schools amalgamated in 1987.
The local population continued to grow and in 2001 the school expanded to 3 forms of entry. This entailed more building works, but classrooms were added sympathetically and it is now difficult to imagine how the original school looked in the 1970s.
We continue in our mission of educating the children of our parish, and beyond. While there have been many changes in the school buildings, in the population of our school, even in the name of our school, our purpose remains very similar to that of those early educators – of preparing our children for the future, by imparting life skills, knowledge of their faith and an assurance that the Light of Christ will guide them on life’s journey.