Pupil premium, Sports funding and Covid catch up funding
The Government is providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) in primary schools. This Sports Funding is ring-fenced and can only be spent on PE and Sport. ‘Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this’ (DfE June 2013).
The four main aims of the Sports Premium are:
– To improve the quality of existing PE teaching through continuing professional learning in PE for generalists, so that all primary pupils improve their health, skills and physical literacy, and have broader exposure to a range of sports;
– To increase participation levels in competitive sport and healthy activity of pupils, and maintain these into adolescence;
– To increase the quality of initial teacher training in PE and sport, and to promote PE specialisation in primary level workforce;
– For schools to show that they understand and value the benefits of high quality PE and sport, including its use as a tool for whole school improvement.
At Latymer All Saints Primary school we believe PE & Sport plays an important role for every pupil, with the potential to change young people’s lives for the better. Through PE & Sport our children learn to develop the important qualities of discipline, resilience, communication, knowledge of healthy life styles, team work, and ambition, leading to improved concentration, attitude, and academic achievement.
Our Sports Funding grant is spent on improving the provision of PE and sport for the benefit of all pupils registered at the school so that all pupils develop healthy and active lifestyles.
Through the allocation of our Sports funding we aim to:
– Increase the amount of competition sport in which our children participate;
– Make links to other community sports providers;
– Develop additional clubs and activities for children, outside the curriculum;
– Encourage our children to improve their leadership skills through sport;
– Give extra support in PE to our most talented children and include those with special needs in sport;
– Provide specialist PE and sports teachers and coaches into work alongside class teachers and develop their skills.
Please click on the links below to view our reports detailing use of Pupil Premium, Sports and Covid catch up funding.