The Early Years Curriculum is divided into 7 Areas of learning;
Communication and Language
Personal, Social & Emotional Development
Understanding the World
Expressive Arts & Design
Latymer All Saints Nursery is a vibrant, resourceful environment where children are encouraged to be independent learners and creative thinkers. The Nursery is set up to ensure that children have access to all areas of learning. Within each area of learning the children are encouraged to select their resources independently and enjoy making their own decisions.
Children are observed throughout the year and parents are encouraged to also observe their children in their home environment. Together we use our observations to plan activities to meet every child’s needs and interests. We use the Online Learning Journey ‘Tapestry’ to assess children throughout the year. At the beginning of the year parents will be sent an activation email from Tapestry which includes a password. Parents will then be able to access their child’s online learning journey throughout the year using their email and password on your mobile, tablet or desktop computer. We encourage all parents to upload pictures of their children to their Tapestry account. Click the links at the bottom of this page for more information on how to use Tapestry.
A Day in Nursery
Children participate in daily carpet sessions and circle time to encourage their development and understanding of language, social communication and listening skills. Spontaneous activities are also built round the interests and needs of the children. Staff in the nursery all model language and use opportunities to teach through interacting with the children. Through effective questioning they encourage children to develop their own thinking and learning.
The Power of Reading
We follow ‘The Power of Reading’ programme in Early Years. Literacy is taught through high quality texts and creative teaching. The aim is to engage and motivate children in their learning and deepen their understanding of texts.
Daily Activities Include:
- Collective worship, we start and end each session with a prayer and reinforce our school values throughout the Nursery and curriculum.
- The children listen to a range of stories. We encourage the children to take part with actions and the retelling of stories. Children are introduced to new vocabulary and characters.
- RML/Phonics- Children will begin to learn their letter sounds.
- Maths: During our daily carpet session we will practise our numbers and begin to understand the value of numbers. Maths activities will also be set up daily. These develop skills such as; counting objects, ordering numbers, sorting, writing numbers and shapes.
- All children will participate in at least one focus activity with a teacher during the week.
- We focus on getting children ready for Reception and work hard with the children to improve their fine motor skills in order to develop their pencil grip. We model and encourage writing skills needed for children to become successful writers.
- We offer a spacious and safe outdoor play area with a wide range of equipment.
Helping Your Child Get Ready For Nursery
We would also like parents to encourage their child to start to be more independent at home. Children take great pride in doing things for themselves and you can encourage them by allowing them to:
- eat by themselves
- select their own clothes and dress themselves
- go to the toilet on their own / be toilet trained
- tidy up their toys
- make their own choices